Best all around workout ever (Yes you should read this)

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:46 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

This workout is something I do in the off season for rugby. I omit the legs and abs part of the workout because my legs are huge and I have a very strong core. I would recommend that unless your legs are the size of tree trunks that you do this part of the workout.

Day 1:
Morning: do 100 push ups (does not have to be in a row)
Day 1 of armstrong pullup program: do 5 sets of pull ups all maxed out
Run 3 miles

Day 2:
Morning: do 100 push ups
Day 2 of armstrong pullup program: do pyramids (1, 2, 3, ect.) until you can't do more than your last set. Then max out one last set.
Gym: Chest and triceps (all of these should be 3 sets)
bench press
incline bench press
decline bench press
Leverage chest press
Leverage incline chest press
Leverage decline chest press
Fly's with machine
Fly's with dumbells
Dips
Tricep extention
pull downs
overhead pull downs (face away from the machine, assume a position like one of the people who bult the pyramids and extend tricepss)
bench press with narrow grip (your thumbs should be touching)

Day 3:
Morning: do 100 push ups (If you can't due to soreness do as many as you can, but try not to be a pussy)
Day 3 of Armstrong pullup program: as many training sets as you can (a training set is a number of repetitions you can do consistently).
10-20-30 running program: sprint 10 seconds, jog 20 seconds, and run 30 seconds 5 times in a row. This is one set (it should last 5 mins). Take a 2 minute break inbetween each set. Do 4.

Day 4:
Morning: do 100 push ups (hurts, doesn't it?)
Day 4 of armstrong pullup program: do 3 training sets with a wide grip, 3 training sets with a narrow grip with your fingers facing towards you (or chinups if you prefer), then do 3 training sets with a normal grip.
Gym: Back and biceps (once again, 3 sets of every workout)
Deadlifts
Pull downs (there's a cable version and a lever version, do both)
pull ups (yes, even though you did the armstrong. If you have to do assisted)
Barbell rows
cabel rows
//Hit a few more that are comfortable for you, some people have weak backs and you'll already be worn out from the armstrong program
Bicep curls
preacher curls
cable pull ups (adjust a pull down machine so that the cabel comes from the bottom, attach a 2 hand rope to it, pull up)
hold your arms at a 90 degree angle from your body with dumbells in your hand and rotate your wrists

Day 5:
Morning: do 100 push ups
Day 5 of armstrong pullup program: repeat your hardest day
10-20-30 running program
Gym: Legs and Abs (4 sets for legs, 3 sets for abs)
front squat
hack squat
leg press
hamstring curl
quad extension
situps
flutter kicks
incline situps
weighted situps

It's legs and core, throw in a few exercises of your choice (3 more of each)

There you go, This will get you into shape quickly. You have the weekends to rest. For those of you who say you don't have time to work out you're probably full of shit (Sorry but it's true). These workouts should take an hour and a half at most. Day 5 may take 2 hours. Use the time that you sleep in, game (videogames), masturbate, or watch TV to do these workouts. If it's easier for you you can do 2 of these workouts on the weekends instead.

I know that parts of this aren't specific, you can make changes to it. The reason why I do this is because some people aren't comfortable certain workouts. For example, for the bench press I have to use dumbbells because I fucked up my elbow a few years ago playing rugby.

I don't know a lot about PUA, but I do about working out. I honestly and genuinely think this should be stickied.

My PUA Journey (2014): http://bit.ly/1yYjtSV
MY PUA Journey (2015): the-342-journal-vol-2-rugby7-vt187356.html
My Workout (Read this): http://bit.ly/1zIQncY

Image Record: 131
Image Record: 124

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Bump because bump (Seriously, this is probably the only detailed workout post in here).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:37 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Good post man.

Couple things though: Day 1 you don't have a gym routine, only morning push and pull ups.

Also you have nothing in there for shoulders?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:43 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Also, what are your rep/set numbers like on your gym routines? Do you do a 4 set with 10, 8, 6, 4 reps increasing in weight each set...for example. Or another variation? You do your gym exercises in the order you list too?

Thanks in advance. My routine is pretty similar, just curious on the above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Thanks for the detailed routine man. I will have to blend it with mine but I need to work more on thigh, calves and abs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:27 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
Good post man.

Couple things though: Day 1 you don't have a gym routine, only morning push and pull ups.

Also you have nothing in there for shoulders?
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed routine man. I will have to blend it with mine but I need to work more on thigh, calves and abs.
I'm gonna respond to both of you at once. Day 1 is cardio only. Trust me, this is a tough enough workout. Until recently this is what I have been doing. My more recent workout involves doing one muscle a day and running every morning.

Going to your muscle questions, if you're doing pull ups, you're doing both back and biceps. In a similar manner, the leg exercises are more then enough to work on your thighs, calves, and abs. Keep in mind that you are also running 3 miles for 3 days. When you do pull ups, you will be engaging your abs. If you want more abs, hold a plank for 3 minutes after your push ups (Very difficult but entirely possible as I learned from a trainer who was in the Marines).

To Greggomatik, I wouldn't add more than one or two shoulder exercises on your chest day otherwise you'll end up with shoulder problems.
Quote:
Also, what are your rep/set numbers like on your gym routines? Do you do a 4 set with 10, 8, 6, 4 reps increasing in weight each set...for example. Or another variation? You do your gym exercises in the order you list too?

Thanks in advance. My routine is pretty similar, just curious on the above.
I try to go until max. I started off doing this workout with 3, not 4 sets. I do 4 sets now. Look at how many exercises there are. You're working out every day so try not to overdo it. I would do 8-4-2. I increase EACH dumbbell by 5 in the workouts. I can only bench with dumbbells because of a rugby injury. For legs I'll often add a quarter.

And don't skip the running, the Armstrong, or the push-ups.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:42 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Nice, thanks man

Always good to get different perspectives on workouts. I do practically no cardio as I've always been a skinnier guy but all the rest is pretty close to my typical workout. Though I will say I was the most cut when I was doing pushup and pullups in the morning and started doing that again a couple weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Even if you're skinny you should do the cardio anyways. There's a difference between being skinny and being fit. The running also helps your legs and overall health.

I hate running, yet I can't wait to get back into it. That's when I'm in the best shape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:55 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

It's all about what your goals are. Running helps with endurance in sports and, as with all cardio, burns alot of calories. Chosing not to do a lot of cardio does not negate overall fitness.

I do a heavy legs day and a 5-10 minute warm up on the elyptical as its easier on the knees, and trust, I'm in great shap. At a certain point for ectomorphic body types, too much cardio is counter productive as your body will burn muscle for fuel. I lift heavy legs trying to increase overall size, not for additional endurance during sport related activites.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
It's all about what your goals are. Running helps with endurance in sports and, as with all cardio, burns alot of calories. Chosing not to do a lot of cardio does not negate overall fitness.

I do a heavy legs day and a 5-10 minute warm up on the elyptical as its easier on the knees, and trust, I'm in great shap. At a certain point for ectomorphic body types, too much cardio is counter productive as your body will burn muscle for fuel. I lift heavy legs trying to increase overall size, not for additional endurance during sport related activites.
I know what you qre saying, but it's healthy to run whether your trying to loose weight or not. You will not burn muscle if you do everything in the workout and have a high protein diet.

Speaking of burning muscle guys, contrary to what they teach in school the body loves to burn muscle first. If you are trying to loose fat you want to work out and have a high protein diet.

During the rugby season I was eating over 3000 calories and still loosing a pound a month. It takes about 3500 calories to burn a pound meaning that I was burning 1500 calories from working out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:47 pm 
Dedicated Member

Why do the push ups and work chest?

The push ups themselves are sufficient. You can injure yourself. And/or overwork the neuromuscular system and cause irreparable damage. The push-ups are actually better for you than bench press since the bench press can fuck up your shoulder blades.

I would suggest changing the static "100" into do as many as you can until you begin to struggle. You know that point where you have to begin putting effort in to get them done and not just knocking them out like nothing. Keep doing that every day until the struggle disappears completely. Then increase by 5. This edge of comfort zone method with prevent injuries and allow you to avoid plateaus and keep increasing indefinitely.

I went from 30 to 95 push ups in 2 months by doing this 6 days a week. I've dialed it back to 65 recently though because I realized I wasn't doing "edge of comfort zone", but "nearly maxed out" the last 30 were me digging deep and pushing through.

Anyway, by using this simple method I've doubled/tripled the str in my chest shoulders and triceps in 2 months.

I designed the push ups to be easy enough for me not to dread doing them every day, but still productive. The edge of comfort zone makes it so enough work is being done to see improvements over a lifetime.

them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:38 am 
MPUA Forum Zealot

The standard on my D1 rugby team is that you should be able to do 100 pushups in a row when rested. On the team, it is perfectly reasonable for the coach to tell you to do 100 pushups and tell you to rest.

Just like with weight lifting, you should only do what you feel comfortable with. Just like you wouldn't have someone new to working out bench 200, you wouldn't do the same thing with pushups.

Anyway, I will maintain that pushups should be done every morning. Don't cut out the pushups, just do them until exhaustion like with any other workout. If you can do more than 100, then you shouldn't go to exhaustion and spend the extra energy on the bench.

Finally, if benching gives you shoulder problems you should try it with dumbbells. This is what I have to do due to both a shoulder and elbow problem.

In my experience, going to the gym and working on chest will do more than just pushups. Why? Because you can lift heavier weights (size) and work on different muscle fibers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:14 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Quote:
The standard on my D1 rugby team is that you should be able to do 100 pushups in a row when rested. On the team, it is perfectly reasonable for the coach to tell you to do 100 pushups and tell you to rest.

Just like with weight lifting, you should only do what you feel comfortable with. Just like you wouldn't have someone new to working out bench 200, you wouldn't do the same thing with pushups.

Anyway, I will maintain that pushups should be done every morning. Don't cut out the pushups, just do them until exhaustion like with any other workout. If you can do more than 100, then you shouldn't go to exhaustion and spend the extra energy on the bench.

Finally, if benching gives you shoulder problems you should try it with dumbbells. This is what I have to do due to both a shoulder and elbow problem.

In my experience, going to the gym and working on chest will do more than just pushups. Why? Because you can lift heavier weights (size) and work on different muscle fibers.
Aggreed, but personally, I would do the benching FIRST and the pushups afterwards (so most likely not in the morning). Doesn't it make more sense to use your fully rested muscles for max. strength and then use your remaining power for the push-ups later on, which are more of an endurance kind of exercise? Least that's the way I've always gone on about it, although admittedly I could probably do more push-ups than I currently am if I didn't bench beforehand.

Is there any logic to timing it like that or is it simply a matter of where you want to set your priorities?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:24 pm 
MPUA Forum Zealot

Honestly, a large part of why I put pushup and pull ups in the morning is mainly for discipline. For whatever reason, I find that most men whome do a light morning workout are more likely to work out later in the day.

Personally, after I do chest I will have worked so hard that I won't be able to do more than 25 pushups. The effect of doing pushups first does not affect your chest workout as much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:59 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I agree with OP, if you're chest workout was effective enough you shouldn't be able to do many push ups.

I also agree that running/jogging, or a variation is important. Maybe I implied otherwise with my fast replies. I usually get about a mile in before weights. Lately on the elyptical though.