Bout time I started to gain weight...

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:55 pm 
Dedicated Member

This post is inspired by those in the chat who said I should look at gaining some weight... Haha but really, its about time I do. Right now I'm about 5'10" and weigh around 125lbs. There are two reasons why I'm trying to gain weight. For one, it'll make me feel better about myself and being healthy is always good. Secondly, for my girlfriend. She probably weighs more than me, and thats just not right. She's not huge, but it would be nice if I was as big as her. Also, it would be nice to carry her farther than I can now.

So where do we start. Right now I can pretty much eat anything I want and not gain a pound. I usually eat the same foods each week, here is a little list... Toaster struddles, (microwavable) bacon, pizza, chicken fries, chicken wings, mozz. sticks, chicken fingers, poptarts, and thats about all I can think of at the moment. You'll notice a common factor with most of these things - they're relatively cheap. I'm in college, have little money, and can't afford a nice steak every week. I'm also a somewhat picky eater, I really don't like much (tomatoe) sauce on anything, including the pizzas. I rarely eat pasta, and I hate seafood.

So, what can we do? All I have in my house to work out with is two dumbbells which weigh about 23lbs a piece. There is no way I can afford a gym membership, already did that a couple years back and wasted $35/month plus $99 startup fee for a year. I also don't really have the time to go to the gym, yet I could workout at my house before I go to sleep or something.

Let me know of any ideas. I tried whey protien from GNC but couldn't get the stuff down - too thick. I could try it again, its somewhere at my parents house. The only other suggestions I've gotten were from my roommates who told me to drink more beer :lol:. I told them I didn't want a gut, I wanted muscle.

Here's what I look like now to give you an idea... So lets call this the starting physique:

And here is another (with my girlfriend being the one on the far right, I'm taking the picture):

I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:35 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

There really is no substitute for a gym, however you can use bodyweight exercises to some effect.

Firstly you need to throw out all the crap from your diet and start a healthy one.
You need to be eating 5-6 smaller sized meals rather than the 3 a day.
you want your carbohydrate sources to come from low glycimic index ones, such as, oats, potatoes rice a little pasta, and whole wheat bread. these will give you a steady stream of energy rather than a quick spike.

To build muscle you are going to need protein, at 125lbs you will need to eat at least 125 grams of protein a day, chicken breast is around 30g of protien per 100g.

The best protein sources are Chicken, fish, beef, eggs etc.

You won't need any supplements if your diet is nailed.

Bung in loads of green veg and fruit.

As for exercises,

For chest try Push ups with your arms both wide and close, dumbbell flyes, dips if you can find something to do them on.

For back you can try wide grip chins, bent over dumbbell rows.

For legs you can Squat holding heavy items, do lunges etc

As I said there is no substitute for a gym and if you look around you may find a spit and sawdust type gym really cheap.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

You absolutely can not replace weights with body weight exercises. Sorry brah.

You need to get yourself in the gym if you want to gain anything, or spend a few hundred to about a grand on some weight equipment...

Whey protein to thick...? um what? 8oz of milk + 1 scoop. Shake it...

building muscle is not cheap. I personally use ANiMAL products and live by them now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:39 am 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

man, I know what you're going through, you sound just like me. I can eat whatever I want (and I usually eat like a fat man) and still be underweight. I'm also broke, and can't really afford a clean diet, but I decided to make a change last year.

KRSMA and Daishi really gave good advice, you need to hit the gym. I was looking for some sort of weight gaining diet, when I realized if I found something, I'd probably just be putting on fat. Instead, I started working out regularly, first at home with the limited weights (like you) and now at the gym.

I really hated going to the gym at first, but once I started seeing results, I couldn't get enough. I started last year, at 165 lbs (I'm also 6'4). At first, I think I lost weight, and didn't see much of a result. But now I think I'm at the point where I'm not burning fat, and just putting on muscle. I now weigh around 180, and my chest, arms and shoulders are much bigger. It's really helped my game (women and football), and it hasn't been much of a commitment - I workout 3-4 times a week at the gym, for about an hour a day.

To avoid the costs of a gym plan, I used trials for a bit, but then I found a local college that has extremely cheap memberships (I'm actually working out there for free now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:52 am 
MPUA Forum Addict

Watch Sopranos... You notice one thing? All of them are fat or overweight.

I'm Italian, and will vouch for this. Eat pasta, pizza, garlic bread, mosacholli, lasagna, and all those. You will gain weight. If you don't... God shame on you. :) lol

Giovanni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

first thing is first. there are 3 body types, ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.

ecto= naturally skinny. fast metabolism. hard to gain fat or muscle. thin

meso= naturally gifted. easy to gain muscle, easy to gain or loose fat. body builders are mesomorphs.

endo= fat. heavy. easy to gain fat, hard to loose fat. also easy to gain muscle. powerlifters and football linebackers are endomorphs.

you are an ectomorph. it is your natural body type and without the use of steroids, you cannot change this. as bad as it sounds, no matter what you do, chances are you will never weigh over 160 without some sort of ridiculous diet plan.

you can however make a huge improvement. 10 pounds of gained weight/muscle will make you feel great about yourself and make a huge difference in your body image. eating pizza and all this other stuff is not the correct way to do it. intaking thousands of junk calories will not help you at all. your metabolism will burn right through them. you need to get a George foreman grill and start eating chicken cooked on it. that with stuff like tuna, lean beef, eggs, and good carbs (pasta type foods. bread. vegetables) eaten in large amounts frequently will make a tremendous difference.

but only if you go to the gym. working out is breaking down muscle, causing your body to need to fix that broken muscle. that will create a need in your body and an easy outlet for you to store some extra weight aka muscle. without breaking down your muscle fibers and creating that need in your body, you will keep getting the same results and gain little to no weight. plus, weight gained not in the form of muscle is most likely going to be fat, which is bad.

the unfortunate thing is there is no simple pill you can take to gain size. it is a huge process that will alter your life completely. you will need to intake around 4,000 clean calories a day, while doing resistance training (lifting weights) regularly and also sleeping right. if you are dedicated and really want to spend the time to prepare 5-6 meals a day and give up some partying so you can sleep a little better you will love the results. but its going to be hard work. so the next step is go to bodybuilding.com and look around on there for info on ectomorphs and how/what they are doing to gain size.

it all boils down to 2 things: you need to eat.. alot. and you need to lift at a gym. pushups and situps are not going to cut it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 pm 
Dedicated Member

My girlfriend and I found a gym that we are going to start once school is over within the next few weeks. Its only $10/month with a $40 yearly fee, way cheaper than I was paying at the previous gym. And I'll be starting a full-time co-op (paid internship) the same time school ends so I will start to get into a basic daily routine as I'll be working 8-5 5 days a week. Once I get my routine going I'll figure out when to eat and when to workout and all that. I'll look into eating right and all that as well.

I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Quote:
My girlfriend and I found a gym that we are going to start once school is over within the next few weeks. Its only $10/month with a $40 yearly fee, way cheaper than I was paying at the previous gym. And I'll be starting a full-time co-op (paid internship) the same time school ends so I will start to get into a basic daily routine as I'll be working 8-5 5 days a week. Once I get my routine going I'll figure out when to eat and when to workout and all that. I'll look into eating right and all that as well.
thats good to hear, right on man.

like i said before, you will be shocked at how much information is on bodybuilding . com in the forum's and the 'supersite' portion of the website. just start reading and it will make your fitness life a lot easier

Post subject: duuuuuude
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 pm 
MPUA Forum Addict

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

your awesome and thats not me giving you some cheap pep talk
but judging by the second pic its not exactly hindering your pua abilitys

but as i have a similar problem to you i shall tell you what i found effective

eating as many calories as you can a day dnt go crazy i go for around 1500 to 2500
and balancing this out with pressups and sit ups ive had quite a bit of success too

but judging by my freinds huge arm muscles i would say pull ups are the most effective for muscle building as it pressure your torso shoulders and arms

hope this helps DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE :lol:

excuse my poor spelling but i am speed typing due to my extream desire to watch the latest episode of scrubs XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:35 am 
New to MPUA Forum

it's so easy to write type that down..but you obviously came to a point where everything was enough and you got out of that frame of mind and your mental state changed...not alot of people can do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Hey man, before I started lifting I weighed about 112 and I am 5'10". Now after my workout plan I gained 13lbs in muscle in about 4 months without a gym.

Check out www.scoobysworkshop.com This site has pretty much everything you need to know about bodybuilding!

To get started all you need are some cheap dumbbells and a pull up bar and you can get some big results! Any one who says you have to be a member at a gym simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:11 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

Just as overweight ppl say 'i don't eat much' underweight people say 'i eat loads'

:?

The fact is you aren't eating enough, and by the looks of your diet what you are eating is garbage.

Embarking on the journey into weighlifting/training etc isn't for everyone and most give up if you want to be fitter start jogging, doing situps, pressups etc

My advice is EAT MORE good foods and ditch the microwave garbage, it's not rocket science there are tons of guides diet plans and whatnot online

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

You probably have to eat a lot more than you think, right? You don’t have to go reaching for all these like you have a fast metabolism or whatever, fundamentally you’re just not getting enough energy into your body to convert to fat or bone or muscle…To gain weight you will also have to work out. That is how you put on more muscle mass. But it won't work until you keep aside the underlying reason for you being thin. A lot of people work out a lot and eat a lot of energy and protein dense food but it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
You probably have to eat a lot more than you think, right? You don’t have to go reaching for all these like you have a fast metabolism or whatever, fundamentally you’re just not getting enough energy into your body to convert to fat or bone or muscle…To gain weight you will also have to work out. That is how you put on more muscle mass. But it won't work until you keep aside the underlying reason for you being thin. A lot of people work out a lot and eat a lot of energy and protein dense food but it doesn't work.
I agree with you! It's known that there are many natural ways for gaining weight but the most helpful among them are a combination of certain diet and physical exercises. In case of the first one it's important to add more protein, carbs and fat in your daily menu (but it should be balanced at the same time) and eat more calories than your body usually burns. Such approach can lead to becoming simply fat, that's why the physical exercises are so important, especially the weightlifting which is perfect for controlling your fat and building muscles.
And yes, being underweighted is often connected with different illnesses, one of the most widespread among them is hormonal imbalance. For example, low testosterone in case of men often causes this https://www.hgha.com/testosterone-levels-in-men-by-age, especially starting from the older age (it can lead to the opposite, the massive weight gain too). All such diseases can be treated effectively only in a medical way, that's why it's so important to have the medical examination if you're really underweighted.