What is the best workout for upper body muscle gain?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I am a novice, I go the gym several times a week and go till my arms are out of energy but I am a novice and don't really have the knowledge.

So for increasing upper body muscle mass, what are the best workouts and machines to use?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:29 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Eat a ton, lift heavy weight (weight you can only do around 6 reps of, for example) and get good sleep. The rest is details. I like barbell bench press and lat pull downs (well actually dumbbell rows but for novice I prefer lat pull downs) as the two most important exercises for novice upper body, followed by a form of shoulder press and then bicep curls and tricep exercises (extensions or skullcrushers). Don't get too bogged down with what exercises/what routine etc. though, focus on the first sentence I said: Eat a ton, lift heavy weight, and sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I would highly suggest not training a specific part of your body. Please train your entire body.

Additionally, it takes your body/muscle time to recover. On average three days. Maybe change your training to:

Day 1
Legs
Triceps
Abs

Day 2
Shoulders
Back (upper and lower)
Under arms/grip

Day 3
Biceps
Chest
Abs

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Legs
Triceps
Abs

Day 6
Shoulders
Back (upper and lower)
Under arms/grip

Day 7
Biceps
Chest
Abs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 am 
The Coach

Quote:
Eat a ton, lift heavy weight (weight you can only do around 6 reps of, for example) and get good sleep. The rest is details. I like barbell bench press and lat pull downs (well actually dumbbell rows but for novice I prefer lat pull downs) as the two most important exercises for novice upper body, followed by a form of shoulder press and then bicep curls and tricep exercises (extensions or skullcrushers). Don't get too bogged down with what exercises/what routine etc. though, focus on the first sentence I said: Eat a ton, lift heavy weight, and sleep.
This ^^

Don't just work your upper body though man. If you want that X shape, you've gotta work your legs. Do all compound heavy lifts. Bench Press, Dead Lift, Squat, Shoulder Press, Rows... As TheFury said, the rest is just details. If you work ONLY your upper body, you will look deformed. Chicken legs are unattractive. Girls like a guy who has a nice ass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Thanks for the replys. As for leg muscle mass, I would like to but I don't see how you can do that without ruining the knee joints

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:35 pm 
The Coach

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. As for leg muscle mass, I would like to but I don't see how you can do that without ruining the knee joints

You're gonna fuck up your knees even more if you pack on a weight to your upper body and your legs can't support it. Take fish oils and multi vitamins and drink plenty of water. Stretch before you work out. Don't lift something that is too heavy. You won't hurt your knees as long as you aren't an idiot about it. (Meaning don't go to the gym right now and try to squat 600 lbs)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 pm 
PUA Forum Leader

Quote:
Use proper form and you should be fine. Squats are probably the riskiest ones if done wrong, so do them right. Sometimes it is counter intuitive; for example, people always ask me if I am afraid of blowing out my knee because I do ATG/olympic style squats (ass to grass i.e. I go ALL the way down until my butt almost touches the floor) but it is actually the guys who do not go far ENOUGH down who maintain the most tension in their knees in the sort of 'in between' phase of a squat that they decide to end their squat at (usually to just say they can do more weight). Hard to describe in words, but anyways, the point is, you shouldn't worry too much about it if you do things right as Majik said.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:53 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

If you're afraid that you'll injure yourself try doing the exercises with less weight and just do more repetitions. This way you will learn to understand the motion and how your body reacts. As soon as you feel comfortable you can up the weights and lower the reps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:16 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

Ok so I have been researching the correct way to do squats and I tried them out last night without any weights.

I was expecting there to be a lot more stress on the knee joints which Im very wary about as I have a standing up all day job which leaves them feeling destroyed at the end of the shift.

But I did the method correctly and there was no stress which I was pleasantly surprised with. Legs are pretty tires as I never done them before and I was was quite surprised to notice it most in some of the back muscles.

So how much progress can you make for leg muscle without using weights before you should add a little extra weight?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 am 
English Muffin

Quote:

This is typical and wrong!

You just want to skip legs because upper body is what girls notice more.

The fact is that doing squats is one of the best exercises. It does multiple muscles including your back (upper body!)

Doing legs releases more testosterone for your upper body, that's why it's called a compound exercise. You need to scrap your current plan of picking up a weight (probably bicep curls) and guessing.

You need to Invest on your education and read a book or something.

For more info, look up a free beginner program called:

" Strong lifts 5x5 " (I've done my research, this is the program for you, it's simple and not demanding)

Don't skip Legs, you will hinder your upper body and make it a longer process.

SL 5x5 is only 3 days per week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:58 am 
English Muffin

Quote:
Ok so I have been researching the correct way to do squats and I tried them out last night without any weights.

I was expecting there to be a lot more stress on the knee joints which Im very wary about as I have a standing up all day job which leaves them feeling destroyed at the end of the shift.

But I did the method correctly and there was no stress which I was pleasantly surprised with. Legs are pretty tires as I never done them before and I was was quite surprised to notice it most in some of the back muscles.

So how much progress can you make for leg muscle without using weights before you should add a little extra weight?

Add 2.5kg each time you complete 5reps and 5 sets.

For example:

5/5/5/5/5 (add 2.5kg next time)

Then when you get heavy you will stall.

5/5/5/4/3

You the try again with same weight till you get (you will be stronger the next time around aslong as you eat and rest correctly)

5/5/5/5/5 (then add 2.5 kg again)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 am 
Member of MPUA Forum

2 words, compound exercises.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:27 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Like everybody said. Stick to the compound. Learn and grasp the foundation of strength. Use Starting Strength or Stronlift. Stick to the pplanet least 8-12 weeks. Eat more, learn more about macro nutrition, and calories. Stick to the plan, and don't change any dramatically. Consistency is the key here. Results will come.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

Thanks for all the feedback guys this is great.

Pebble, Is this the programme?

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5- ... g-program/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:21 pm 
English Muffin

It sure is:

Here are my results so far (I'm not an expert as you can see but my body is different)

Image then

Image now

Still workin on the 6 pack but I will get there, diet is more important than lifting.