combine running and fitness training

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
Post new topic Reply to topic   Board index » Related Areas & Misc » Health & Fitness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 am 
New to MPUA Forum

How to combine running and fitness training? I run 3 times a week and running is my primary training activity. I usually combine it with a workout in a gym. Running goes first and the gym goes second. A friend of mine told me I was making a mistake because according to him it should be the other way around. As running is more important to me I prefer doing it my way. I usually train at my threshold zone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 am 
English Muffin

Depends on your diet really and also on your goals.

There is nothing wrong with going for a run 1st thing when you wake up, then have breakfast, then after work , lift the weights. (Pre and after workout meal for fuel)

But if your goal is to gain muscle, then perhaps you don't need to run that much.

But if your goal is to lean out, then should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:57 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Like Pebble said.

Really depend on your goals. Focus on your body composition firstly, secondly if you really enjoy running, then you should focus getting a training program regarding your goals. Stick to the plan, trust the plan, results will come!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 pm 
New to MPUA Forum

What you could try is squatting and doing 400m sprints. It's a great way to stimulate muscle growth in the legs and also helps with conditioning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 pm 
MPUA Forum Enthusiast

Remember to train your upperbody as well, or you will just have a unbalanced symmetry body, lack of strength as well. There is a reason why Usain Bolt look kinda fit from upper to lower body parts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm 
Member of MPUA Forum

I've been a runner for +10 years so far and I've try both of things:

First running and then the workout,
and first the workout and then running.

In terms of results it makes absolutely no difference. Of course if you have to do some intervals at a hard pace or a tempo run, you do not want to be tired before them, otherwise you are going to screw up your times.

The question here is what is your goal with the workout? improve your times, avoid injuries or looks?

If it is about looks, nothing wrong with that you'll have to pay attention to what you eat. Once a person already does some exercise as you 3 times a week then food gives you around 70% of the results in terms of looks. 70% of a six pack is made in the kitchen. The same goes for growing muscle.

In case you only want to run better you can eat whatever you want and work out your legs at least once a week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:32 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I just do daily cycling and I love to go for a walk with all my friend but from past month I was not able to go as Kitchen Remodeling Fairfax VA is going on,I miss my daily walk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 am 
New to MPUA Forum

I like your post and get many tips about running and fitness combine. Thanks for great sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Definitely running is one of the most important exercises for make our body to be fit. So it is better to continue your way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:12 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Quote:
How to combine running and fitness training? I run 3 times a week and running is my primary training activity. I usually combine it with a workout in a gym. Running goes first and the gym goes second. A friend of mine told me I was making a mistake because according to him it should be the other way around. As running is more important to me I prefer doing it my way. I usually train at my threshold zone.
Running is the best way to strengthen your cardiovascular system and improve circulation while building the foundation for other fitness activities. Strength training, on the other hand, develops your muscles, which means that your body burns its fat reserves more effectively. As a result, a combination of strength training and running have the best effect on your performance – you push your body to a higher level.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:30 am 
New to MPUA Forum

Then you are right and your friend is wrong. Do first what you like! Of course, if your goal is to build a huge mass, the way is wrong, but if your goal is to get lean and do whatever you like, you are doing great! However, to build a good body 75% of work is doing a good diet. If you need, here's a good calorie tracker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwmBduUUaNY&t=317s